Call: (954) 830-9661
Modern garage doors are mostly foolproof, and so you’ll only have to do minimal maintenance on them over their lifespan. Sometimes though, things go wrong and your garage door is going to need some help. Here’s some tips on how you can repair your garage door, and how to know when it’s time to call a Plantation garage door repair company.
Your garage door is made up of two main components: The door itself, and the opener. This article will look at both, so you’ll know exactly what to do in the event of a breakdown.
Repairing A Garage Door
- Firstly, you’ll need to check the metal tracks, as they can be damaged by bad weather or general wear and tear. With the garage door closed, take a look at the tracks for any dents or bumps in the tracks. If you can, pound them out with a mallet and a scrap block of wood. If they’re too badly bent out of shape, they will need to be replaced.
- Check that the tracks are properly aligned. If they’re not, loosen, but don’t remove, the bolts. Then, tap them back into place, if you can.
- It’s possible that your garage door isn’t working properly simply because the tracks need a good clean. Dirt and hardened grease can take their toll on the tracks. Clean them with a concentrated household cleaner, and then wipe them dry to avoid rust.
- Check for any hardware that has come loose. Go around your door, and tighten up anything that looks too loose to you.
Repairing The Opener
Your garage door opener may seem complicated, but in fact troubleshooting it is easy. Here’s the steps you should take if yours stops working:
- Check the garage door opener is plugged in. This sounds rather obvious, but more often than not it’s come unplugged and just needs plugging back in.
- Clean the sensors. Sometimes, the sensors become covered in dirt or other debris, and this especially happens after a bad storm. If the door won’t open, give them a clean with a soft tissue. They’ll then be able to send their beams out properly.
- Check for corroded connections. Sometimes, connections and other parts of the opener will become corroded and so won’t function anymore. This especially happens if they come into prolonged contact with water. If they are, you may need to call in a garage door service Plantation to come replace them.
- Check nothing’s blocking the door. A garage door won’t open or close if the sensor thinks something in the way, as this is a safety feature. it may well be that something is stopping the door from opening or closing fully. Remove the obstacle, and try the door again.
- Replace the batteries in your door opener. If your door won’t open when you approach it with your car, the batteries in the car unit may be at fault. Replace them and try it again.
When To Call In A Specialist
Sometimes, despite all your troubleshooting, you just can’t get the garage door to open. If you’ve tried all the above tips and it’s still not working, then it’s time to call in the experts. Garage door repair services, Plantation, will help you get to the bottom of the problem. They’ll often be needed in these instances, as it’ll be likely that whatever is wrong with your door will need replacing, and that’s something better done by an expert.
It’s also a good idea to call in an expert when you’re not too sure what’s wrong with the machinery. A garage door is like any other machine, and sometimes it takes an expert eye to actually diagnose the problem. It’s much better to call them in than take a guess at the cure, and actually cause more damage.
As you can see though, it’s actually easier than you’d think to fix your garage door. Most issues are only minor, and you’ll need to just spend a little time and effort fixing it. Use these tips and troubleshoot your garage door if it develops a fault. You can save a lot of time and effort, if you know what you’re looking for.