Table of Contents
How to Get the Most Out of Your Garage Door in Hollywood
You love your home in Hollywood, Florida, now it’s time to love your garage door. Having a long-lasting door is all about the choices you make. From materials to your opener, each component plays an important part and influences longevity, security, and reliability.
At Garage Door Pros, we have a wealth of experience in garage door repairs and know how to keep your garage door running smoothly. Learn tips from the pros and get the best return on investment from one of your home’s key features.
With the help of our leading Hollywood garage door service company, you can learn how to get more out of your garage door. Reduce maintenance with a new door, improve security, or make your home more convenient. Explore our garage door tips and unlock the potential in one of your home’s best features.
Choose a Garage Door Material That Complements Your Home
Getting the most out of your garage in Hollywood all starts with the door. This is one of the primary entry points to your home, and it’s likely one of the first elements that people see from the curbside. Installing a new garage door can instantly modernize your home, and in some cases, a new door will increase your home’s marketable value.
Materials matter. You need to choose a material that is attractive and durable. You should also aim for something that complements the aesthetic of your home. When your exterior is traditional or transitional in style, wood or composite are great options. However, when your home features a contemporary exterior, steel or aluminum are better choices to complement the aesthetic.
Each material has unique advantages, which you must consider before making your final decision.
- Wood is the ideal traditional garage door material, but it’s also one of the costliest. While wood is durable, it does require you to refinish it every few years to maintain a pristine look. However, it is possible to get the look and feel of wood when choosing composite materials, and the door will be lighter and more affordable. Composite is often the best choice when you have a double garage door because it places less strain on motor components and other hardware.
- Steel is another popular option, and factory paint finishes can last for over a decade before flaking and peeling. A treated steel garage door will resist corrosion, but there is always a risk, especially in Florida’s humid climate. Spending a little extra gets you a steel door with a fiberglass overlay that will prevent rust and other damage.
- Aluminum is also a great choice and is often recommended by Hollywood garage door repair companies. It is lightweight, almost impervious to corrosion and rust, and you can paint it to complement your home exterior. Aluminum is also relatively affordable, but it is susceptible to dents and scratches.
- Vinyl is another option that is quickly growing in popularity. Vinyl garage doors are factory formed and can be made to replicate the look of wood, steel, and aluminum. Vinyl has a high strength to weight ratio, so it’s ideal for larger garage doors that would sag when using traditional materials. Vinyl is factory colored, with the pigment running throughout the material. This means that it takes a long time to fade and it won’t need to be painted or refinished throughout its lifetime. Vinyl garage doors can last 50 years or more, depending on weather and UV exposure.
Choosing any of these quality materials could reduce your likelihood of needing Hollywood garage door repairs in the future.
For help choosing which garage door material will work best for your home, get expert advice from our team at Garage Door Pros.
Invest in a High-Quality Garage Door Opener
While you probably don’t think about it very often, you should give your garage door some respect, especially your garage door opener, as it is one of the hardest working components in any modern home. Did you know that a typical garage door opener is activated around 1500 times every year and will last for up to 12 years with proper maintenance? When yours approaches the end of its life, it’s better to buy a new one than deal with frequent Hollywood garage door repairs and breakdowns.
While there are DIY options on the market, these are generally not recommended for homeowners who want the longest lifetime and the highest quality installation. Garage door opener mounting can be difficult and sometimes dangerous. Anyone without considerable experience should leave the job to our professionals at Garage Door Pros.
A quality garage door opener should come with an extensive warranty on parts and defects. There should also be modern security features like an auto-reverse and secure channel for remote control commands.
While it will cost you a little extra money, you should consider investing in an opener with an outdoor keypad or biometric fingerprint scanner. This will provide more security, and you’ll never have to carry a remote again.
The most popular keyless entry systems available today include:
- Key fob remote control garage door systems are the standard today. One of these will use a radio frequency device that can be conveniently attached to your keyring. Modern systems are more secure and are less likely to be ‘hacked’ by thieves. Even so, access can still be gained with stolen openers. Keep your key fob on you at all times for peace of mind, and keep spares locked in a safe or hidden in your home.
- Keypads are becoming more common. As we mentioned above, these can come in the form of a standard number pad, or more recently with biometric fingerprint scanners. These are convenient because you won’t have to carry a remote or key fob. Have a keypad installed on a raised pillar next to your driveway so that you can conveniently activate it from within your car.
- Keyless garage door openers now come in the ‘smart home’ variety. You can link a system to other smart devices in your home and even your central control hub. Basic systems can be standalone and are activated through a linked smartphone app. Security still remains a concern, but smart garage door openers are becoming more advanced with each passing year. Talk to Garage Door Pros to explore your options.
Increase the Security of Your Garage Door
No matter how secure you think your neighborhood is, you must always keep your garage door closed and secured, even when you’re at home, as open garage doors are an invitation for thieves.
Beefing up your security could mean replacing your damaged garage door, replacing your opener for one with modern anti-theft features, or even installing an alarm sensor within your garage.
Ultimately, a little common sense goes a long way, and you get the most safety out of your garage door by keeping it down. When you aren’t in the garage, there’s no reason for your door to be open.
Get Regular Maintenance from a Licensed Garage Door Service Hollywood
Just as important as any component in your garage door is the maintenance that goes into it. A Hollywood garage door company will ensure that your door is secure and free of defects. Regular maintenance will even help to prevent problems from developing; however, when something does eventually go wrong, a maintenance tech will be able to find the issue quickly and keep your repair costs to a minimum.
Garage Door Pros is the company to call whenever you need Hollywood garage door repairs or service. We also install garage doors and accessories and help you find the perfect solution for your unique needs.
Talk to us today for a service booking, installation, or answers to any questions you have about garage door repair.
Leave A Comment