Garage Door Service In Davie
At this time of year, you need to make sure the weather stays where it belongs, that is, outside of your home. There’s lots of ways to weather proof your home, but remember that your garage needs to be protected, too. Not sure where to start? Don’t worry, your local garage door service Davie is here to help you out. Here’s some tips to get you started.
Keep The Weather Out Of Your Garage
Your garage has plenty in there that you need to protect. Your car isn’t instantly damaged by bad weather, but you’d rather keep it out of the elements when you’re not using it. Plus, you probably keep a lot of other valuable items, such as a lawnmower or tools, in there.
There’s another good reason for weather proofing your garage. Keeping moisture out means that you’re keeping the mold out, too. without anything getting in, there’s nothing encouraging mold to grow. If your garage has a room of your house above it, that’s a serious concern.
Top Tips For Moisture Sealing Your Garage
So, how do you moisture seal your garage door? Here are some top tips from the experts.
- Measure your garage door: Before you do anything else, make sure you measure that door. You’ll need to get new sealing materials, and ensure that they’re the right size.
- Remove the old garage door seals properly: Obviously, you’re going to need to remove the old seals properly if you’re going to put new ones in. Pull the door open enough so the door track doesn’t get in the way, and then slide out the old rubber seals. If they’re stuck, cut it and remove it in pieces. Just make sure the whole thing is removed.
- Clean the area you’re installing moisture sealing in: Before installing anything, make sure that the area is clean first. If you don’t, you still run the risk of mold and mildew coming in.
- Get yourself a helper: Once you’ve cut the new moisture sealant to size and started trying to install it, you’ll see that it’s more difficult than it looks. Getting it slide across the door takes a lot of pushing and pulling. This is where it’s helpful to someone else on hand. They can help you get the new sealant in with much less effort than it would be on your own.
- Don’t forget to replace the door stop: Remember to pry off the old door stop, and install the new one with the lip for better sealing against the weather.
Benefits Of Sealing Your Garage Door
There’s lots of reasons why you might want to ask a Davie garage door repair company to moisture seal your garage door:
- Keep rain water out: If the wind is driving rain directly at your garage door, it’s easy for the rain to get inside and start flooding. A stop behind the door provides an effective barrier and saves your garage from becoming an impromptu swimming pool.
- Protect your belongings: Your belongings are susceptible to rust if they’re exposed to water, especially your tools. Keep the garage dry and everything in it safe.
- Avoid mold: As we mentioned earlier, mold can spread quickly in damp areas and is very difficult to remove. If you can, you want to keep it out of your home. Buying a moisture seal doesn’t cost much, so it’s a worthwhile investment to stop this happening.
- Keep out other unwanted elements: It’s not just the weather you want to keep out of your garage. There’s rodents, leaves and other debris that can all get in through a single crack in your garage door. A moisture seal is a good physical barrier that can’t be attacked, as it sits behind your garage door. That way, nothing is going to make its way in.
When You Should Call The Experts
You don’t always need to call in a Davie garage door repair contractor to get a moisture seal replaced. It’s a job that, with a little time and patience, that you can get done yourself. After all, nothing feels better than tackling a DIY job yourself, does it?
However, sometimes you’ll need to call on an expert. Maybe you’ve never done anything like this before, and you don’t feel comfortable doing it. This is especially true if you don’t want to invalidate the guarantee on a fairly new garage door. In that case, it’s a good idea to ask an expert to take a look.
If you’ve already found the elements making their way into their garage, you’ll want an expert to check it before you make any repairs yourself.
With these tips, you can get the moisture sealant in and guarding the garage right away. Try it for yourself.
Leave A Comment