The materials you use for your garage door are more than just personal preference. Materials have functional benefits in terms of maintenance, weight, and durability. Choosing the best garage door material can result in a longer-lasting door that requires fewer Plantation garage door repairs.
Whether you are investing in a new garage door or building a new home in Plantation, it is beneficial to compare some of the most common materials available.
Wooden Garage Doors in Plantation
Wood is the most renewable resource known today. It’s a sustainable material that provides significant environmental benefits. Forests used for lumber are carefully managed and create habitats for countless fauna and flora species. Tree growth also helps to control carbon dioxide in the air, which prevents global warming.
When you want a home that is more environmentally friendly, a wood garage door is the best option. Wood is also incredibly sturdy and can help reduce your need for Plantation garage door repairs in the future.
The biggest advantages of using a wood garage door are:
- The flexibility of wood. Wood doors come in many shapes and sizes, allowing you to achieve the perfect aesthetic.
- Wood can survive light to moderate impact damage, without major signs of distress. This resilience makes wood a favorite for long term investment.
- Wood is an attractive and ideal choice for an upmarket home. If you want your house to stand out, choose a wood garage door.
No material is perfect, and there are some downsides to choosing wood:
- Wood can crack, split, or warp when it is not properly maintained.
- You must stain or paint a wood door more often than steel.
- Wooden doors aren’t easily insulated, although this is not so much a problem in Florida as it is in other states.
- Wooden doors are costly due to the artistry required. You will pay a premium for this classic aesthetic.
Steel Garage Doors for a Sleek and Modern Appearance
When wood doesn’t appeal to you, a steel garage door might be the best solution. Like wood, steel is durable and helps reduce the need for garage door repair services in Plantation.
Steel provides significant advantages for homeowners. Some of the best ones include:
- A sleek look that is perfect for contemporary homes; steel looks amazing when you are trying to create a clean aesthetic.
- You can customize steel garage doors in the same shapes and sizes as wood.
- Aside from painting, there’s almost no maintenance required for a steel garage door. Steel will easily stand up to even the harshest Florida weather.
Downsides to using steel are minimal, but there are some things to consider. Two of the most critical points are:
- Steel dents easily. Any light impact with your vehicle or even a heavy power tool or lawnmower etc. can cause damage to a steel door.
- Steel doesn’t provide any significant insulation against the elements. Homeowners with a climate control system in the garage should consider an alternative like vinyl.
Affordable Vinyl Garage Doors
Finally, we come to vinyl garage doors. There’s no other material in construction that is as versatile or as popular as vinyl. Manufacturers use this material for everything from siding to window frames and even garage doors. When you want to avoid costly garage door repair in the future, vinyl is the best choice. It’s inexpensive to install, and you can even replace your door in a few years without shouldering any significant expense.
A vinyl garage door comes with advantages like:
- Low cost. Vinyl is affordable and lasts for years.
- Vinyl resists dents, scratches, and other damage. Additionally, it won’t warp or crack and can be pre-colored so the paint will never fade or degrade.
- Vinyl is impervious to water damage and also acts as a natural insulator.
There’s only one real downside to consider when using a vinyl garage door:
- With vinyl, you won’t be able to repaint your door. However, the low cost of a replacement vinyl door means you can give your home a fresh new look without a significant investment.
Invest in a Quality Garage Door to Reduce Your Plantation Garage Door Service Needs
Although a quality garage door won’t completely eliminate the need for maintenance and occasional repairs, it can at least keep costs down over a lifetime of ownership.
The most important thing to keep in mind is that when problems do occur, you shouldn’t ignore them. Problems with your automatic garage door are not just inconvenient; they can also be dangerous.
When you need new garage door springs, your door is not opening or closing, or you have any other fault with your door, always rely on the professionals.
Garage Door Pros has a team of highly trained experts who will take care of all your Plantation garage door repairs. Talk to us today for the most affordable and reliable service in South Florida.