Being a homeowner isn’t easy. As well as all the bills you have to pay and the upkeep you have to do, there’s the risk of unexpected breakdowns in your property. One issue that can befall any homeowner is that of foundation shifting. When your garage door breaks down, it could be the foundations that are to blame. Read on to find out more, including how to fix the issue and get your garage door back on track.
What is foundation shifting?
All house’s foundations settle over time, and a small amount of shifting isn’t a huge cause for concern. However, more severe shifting can cause several different problems with your home’s integrity and repair. These problems can include:
- Cracks appearing in walls, especially over doors or where walls meet ceilings.
- Uneven or sloping floors.
- Spaces between the walls and the floor, where the floor has sunk.
- Windows or doors fail to close or latch properly, including garage doors.
- Walls are beginning to lean or bulge outside, showing a weakness in the foundation.
If your garage door fails to work properly, and you spot any of these other problems, it may be time to call a Davie garage door repair company.
What can cause my foundation to shift?
There are several reasons why your foundations are shifting:
- The soil wasn’t allowed time to settle when your home was being built, which is common when builders are rushing to complete building on time.
- It could be due to environmental issues, so ask your neighbours if they’re experiencing something similar.
- Bad construction practices, such as not laying enough gravel or sand in the foundation when the house is being built.
How does this affect my garage?
As well as the normal issues such as cracks in the walls and sinking floors, you’ll also see issues with your garage door. Any Davie garage door repair contractor will tell you that shifting foundations will cause your garage door to bend or break. This is because the changes in wall structure can cause the garage door or its components to undergo additional stress, leading to issues.
These issues become a problem as they put the safety of your home at risk. An unevenly closing garage door can provide an easy access point for unwanted guests to enter your home, especially if your garage is attached to your house itself. It can also create an access point for pests such as squirrels to enter your home and create nests there. Whatever you’re trying to keep out, it’s worth getting in touch with any Davie garage door repair service to get it fixed.
How can I avoid this problem?
If you’re looking to prevent any issues with your garage door, the best step to keeping it in top shape is prevention. It’ll also help you avoid the other problems that were listed above.
- Maintain your moisture levels in your foundations. They can shift dramatically after a long dry spell or when you suffer a long bout of wet weather. The key is to keep it at the same level year round. Installing rock beds around your foundations about 18″ away is a good way of keeping those levels steady.
- Check your drainage: Your drains may be dumping water into your foundations, causing issues. Make sure your downspouts are directing water at least five feet away from your property.
- Perform yearly plumbing inspections: Any leaks in your plumbing can lead to leaks that make their way into your foundations, making them shift. To avoid this, inspect your plumbing regularly, including sewer lines and sprinklers, to make sure that this isn’t happening.
What do I do if my garage door is broken due to foundation shifting?
The first thing you will need to do is get in touch with a company who can help repair your foundations. It’s not an easy fix, but it’s the one you should make first. It’s tempting to fix the garage door first as it seems easier, but it may break again if the foundation shifts further.
Once that’s done, call on a company that can do garage door repair, Davie based, to give you a quote. The sooner you call them, the better, as problems may get worse with time and continued use. Soon, they’ll be able to come and fix your garage door, meaning it’ll be smooth sailing once again.
Do you have a garage door that needs repairs thanks to a shifting foundation? Call on the best garage door service Davie has to offer, Garage Door Pros. They’ve been servicing garage doors for years, so they know how to get one running perfectly again. They can give you a free quote on repairs with no obligation, and can even offer coupon codes if you’re looking for a discount.
Leave A Comment