Call: (954) 830-9661
A garage door is one of those things in your home that you probably do not think about unless there’s a problem with it. Having a properly functioning garage door is essential for you to get in and out of your garage, and also for your safety and the safety of your vehicles or other items that you may store in your garage. While a garage door may last a long time, at some point, like everything else, it may need to be replaced.
You may think of it just as a simple door and be ready to replace it on your own, but it actually has many different parts that need to fit and work properly together to make your garage door open and close smoothly. Generally, garage doors are also very heavy. So unless you are a professional from a garage door repair Fort Lauderdale company, replacing a garage door by yourself may not be a very good idea. Let’s take a quick look at what replacing a garage door may involve.
- Taking measurements and purchasing a new one. Measuring the width of the door and also measuring for headroom so the door can operate smoothly are essential first steps. Also, think about the material of the new door you want.
- Lower and remove the door panels and disassemble the operator. Even something as simple sounding as taking down a door may require professional knowledge to be safely removed. A door with tension springs should be taken down while in the up position. If a door is not locked in place, and you have no one to help, you may need a clamp on the track to take the weight of the door. Then you need to work on removing the nuts to pull away from the door panels one by one until all have been removed. Now remove the old door tracks, and remove the old operator by unfastening the brackets holding it in place, and snip the wiring.
- Prepare the frame and level the new door. Reframe using new 2″ x 4″s framing. Level the bottom piece of the new door to make sure it conforms to the concrete floor.
- Install weather stripping. To finish the bottom panel of the new door, install weather stripping.
- Attach and install brackets, hinges, tracks, and rollers. Attach corner brackets and build the hinges. Look for numbers on them, and build them as per directions. Then it’s time to install the track and rollers. The track is slightly flexible so it is easy to fit the rollers into it. Attach the track to the new 2″ x 4″ framing.
- Attach door panels. Closely follow the manufacturer’s instructions for assembly, because the springs on them are very strong. The tongue of each panel should fit over the groove of the panel below it, as the rollers slide on the panels down the track.
- Fasten tracks and hinges. Align and fasten the horizontal and vertical tracks. Before you set the last panel in the tracks, set the power unit on the actual frame and slide it in the ends. The center bracket is then installed and all the hinges fastened.
- Install cable and spring. This is the cable that will pull up the door. You will need to thread it through the cable winder and tighten the screws.
- Install operator support. Install brackets securely that will hold the new operator.
- Install trim and pain. Lastly, remove the old caulk, install vinyl trim, and paint the door if needed
Remember, the steps above are just a short guide to replacing your garage door. There are many other details that you need to carefully consider before performing each step. If you think that replacing your garage door seems complicated, you are right. It is quite a labor-intensive job that requires working with various tools and many individual parts to make it all come together.
This work is best left to professionals such as Garage Door Pros, the best Fort Lauderdale garage door service company. We provide the best professional and reasonably priced garage door repair services Fort Lauderdale has.